VOTE 1 HUGH FRASER FOR NEPEAN WARD
I seek your first preference at the Council election to re-elect me as your independent representative.
The Covid-19 emergency financial fallout demands a sensitive and flexible approach by council to relieve the hurt to our community. With 6 of the 11 councillors retiring at this election – continuity, experience, ability and a clear understanding of council operations and the community’s needs are essential requirements for your councillor.
These are the skills I will continue to bring to Council.
Working closely with the community, councillors and council management, I have brought an unprecedented 4 years of capital works to Nepean Ward, heritage control to Sorrento and height planning control to Rye.
- Shire-wide debt has been reduced to a $12.5 million record low at 30 June 2019.
- $35.8 million contracted Yawa Aquac Centre, Rosebud enabled by record low debt.
- $6.5m to rejuvenate Rye township, foreshore landscaping and camping relocation.
- $5m for Sorrento’s new ferry terminal traffic management.
- $1.8m earmarked for additional Sorrento car parking.
- $1.85 George Street, Sorrento tourism facilities, toilets and street mall.
- $1.5m Dorothy Houghton Walk at the Eastern Sister, Sullivan Bay.
- $3m Point Nepean Road Blairgowrie/Rye footpath and St Johns Wood Road intersection.
- $850,000 Wilkinson and Carmichael Streets Tootgarook drainage and Romney Park.
- $1m Portsea Surf Life Saving Club new clubrooms contribution.
Into the future, there are major issues to be addressed –
- Keep our residents covid-safe and help our businesses restart.
- Rates and fees emergency relief and expand outdoor cafe dining.
- Peninsula produce farm gate sales.
- Keep up Council capital works spending ($25m at 30 June ‘locked down’ by State Government).
- Climate change mitigation with practical projects and divert waste from Rye landfill to organics.
- New Heritage Rate at 65% discount.
- Cut the number of councillors from 11 to 9 and have three in each of three wards.
- And stop the State Government sandbagging our Portsea beach.
I am a barrister by profession, member of Victorian Legal Services Board and its Finance and Investment Committee 2007–10, elected to Council 2012, re-elected 2016, member of Council’s Audit and Risk Committee 2012–19. Council delegate to Friends of Lospalos, Timor-Leste, and member of Point Nepean Parks Victoria Advisory Committee. Chairperson Nepean Ward Community Coalition since 2016. I live in Rye.
I can be readily contacted by email email@example.com or mobile 0418 379 335 and you can follow my work on Council and in the community at hughfraser-morningtonpeninsula.com
Written and authorised by Hugh Fraser, 12 Michael Street, Rye 3941